Types of GouramisThere are several different species of gouramis available for the aquarium. The good news is that they will happily shoal together in mixed groups, though it's advisable to have one male and at least one female of each sort. Some of the most popular are as follows:
- Blue Gouramis - Also known as three spot gouramis, these pretty fish vary in colour with their moods and darken during spawning. They are among the largest of gourami species.
- Pearl Gouramis -Among the hardiest gourami species, these attractive speckled fish are highly adaptable but prefer an aquarium with subdued lighting and a dark substrate.
- Banded Gouramis -Also known as rainbow gouramis, these sturdy fish need plenty of vegetable matter in their diets.
- Kissing Gouramis -The males of this variety lock their mouths together when challenging each other. They have small, sharp teeth which make them efficient algae eaters. Pink and green variants are available.
- Moonlight Gouramis -Distinctly different in shape from their kin, these shy fish are notable for the male's habit of rolling the female onto her back during spawning.
- Dwarf Gouramis -These tiny fish need a quiet environment but are highly sociable. They are available in several colour varieties.