Types of LoachesThere are several types of loaches suitable for the tropical aquarium. Some of the most popular are as follows:
- Clown Loaches -With their vivid orange and white markings, these delightful loaches look like elongated clown fish. They grow up to sixteen inches long and must be kept in groups of at least five, so you'll need to have plenty of space for them.
- Kuhli Loaches -Beautifully patterned in black and gold, these small, comparatively delicate fish should only be kept in mature aquariums.
- Dwarf Loaches -With their striking black and silver spotted pattern, these tiny fish are aquarium favourites. They are best kept in large shoals and require a soft substrate to burrow in.
- Yoyo Loaches -These exotically patterned black and silver fish are hardy and peaceful, though they sometimes fight each other for social dominance so you'll need to provide hiding places for the losers. They make an excellent choice for beginner aquarists.
- Zebra Loaches -These small stripy fish are happiest in large groups. They need a soft substrate and clean, well filtered water.
The death or disappearance of a member of the group can cause significant stress to the others, so pay extra careful attention to them in this event. If you have to put one of your loaches in an isolation tank, it's a good idea to position this next to the main tank so that those remaining can still see it.